WHY SHOULD YOU CHOOSE US?
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai are the most effective Martial Arts for Kids.
We teach real Martial Arts to our children. Jiu Jitsu & Muay Thai work, because of leverage & physics. They also require hard work and lots of sweat. No shortcuts, no secret death touches. Just real hands on martial arts, real benefits, real skills, and real fun!
We provide singular life skills through a balance of challenge and support. Children learn to be self-reliant and how to address challenging situations on their own and/or utilizing their support network (friends, family, coaches) when necessary.
We provide good role models; young men and women who currently train and compete or have competed at high levels. Our Instructors are in shape and care about building kids up to be strong physically and mentally.
We have a Truth In Pricing policy. No “belt fees,” no “initiation fees,” no hidden prices. We are invested in the art – not the business of selling the art.
We have a state of the art facility. there is no Martial Arts facility in New Haven County that comes close to ours in space, parking, equipment and aesthetics!
1) Brazilian Jiu Jitsu & Muay Thai
Martial Arts & Fitness are the medium we use to accomplish many other goals in our program, but are singularly important for children’s well-being.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is
- A grappling Martial Art
- Commonly accepted as THE MOST EFFECTIVE martial art for self-defense
- Developed so that a small victim can over come the power of a larger attacker using leverage
- A highly intellectual and physically demanding martial art
- Enhances a child’s athleticism for other sports
- Has taken the world by storm since it edged out all other Martial Arts in the early days of Mixed Martial Arts(MMA – as seen in the UFC and other leagues).
Muay Thai is
- A striking art that focuses on punches, kicks and knee/elbow strikes
- Widely considered the most effective striking Martial Art
- Considered an integral part of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Mental Toughness means moving forward in the face of adversity. Physical education is one of the best platforms for learning how to confront challenges in life with a successful attitude. Here are some of the mental toughness concepts we explore:
- How to develop Mental Toughness through practice.
- How to accept challenges instead of avoiding them.
- How to become aware of internal dialogue when facing adversity.
- How to change internal dialogue to help face challenges confidently.
- How to be self-reliant and how to use support systems (coaches, friends, family) when needed.
Note: Beware of Martial Art schools that preach confidence through pure discipline. While some discipline is necessary – we prefer creating self-discipline in our students. We don’t permit yelling at our kids!
3) Proper Body Alignment & Movement
Proper Body Alignment & Movement Patterns are the foundations of good athletics performance, injury prevention and healthy bodies. If your child learns real body awareness and how to move correctly, they will be able to translate those skills into all sports and physical endeavors. Here are some of the concepts we explore with the children in our program:
- What good posture really means.
- How to walk and run efficiently and properly.
- How to properly fall and keep one’s body safe.
- How to safely get the maximum power out of one’s muscles & body structure.
4) Healthy Communication
Communicating Responsibly is paramount for team work as well as simply getting what we need. Proper communication is a fundamental part of our physical experience and is addressed in all our activities. Here are some of the communication concepts we explore:
- How to introduce yourself and speak to people respectfully
- Taking responsibility for our feelings,
- Differentiating between “needs” and “wants,”
- Communicating our needs properly.
5) The Art Of Learning
The Art of Learning is the perhaps the most important skill kids can develop here. Students will learn the process of improving a skill, how to approach complex problems, how to move through challenging phases and witness the joy and satisfaction their hard work brings. Some Art of Learning concepts we cover include:
- Recognizing the relationship between intentional practice and results
- Using losses/setbacks as a tool for improvement
- Fixed Mentality vs Growth Mentality
- Pattern recognition & problem solving
Kids Martial Arts and Life Skills Program
Our award winning Youth Mixed Martial Arts & Life Skills program is a hit with both kids and parents! The kids have a blast learning their punches and kicks while the parents appreciate the Life Skills development from the training. A Martial Arts education from Ultimate MMA & Jiu-jitsu Trainng Center gives kids the specific Life Skills they need to get ahead in life, allowing them to grow up and be happier, healthier and more successful. Students learn that they can accomplish anything if they are willing to work hard enough and not give up. Martial Arts training in our program consists of much, much more than just punches and kicks. Our Black Belt Excellence motto sums it up best:
A Black Belt is about more than punches and kicks. It’s about the person you are, the choices you make, and the way you choose to live your life. A Black Belt is more than something you work hard to earn. It is something you work hard to become.
Students who work hard at UMMA and eventually earn their Black Belts will possess all the skills they need to go on to be college graduates, business owners, doctors, scientists, astronauts, engineers, accountants, fire-fighters, social workers, teachers, and most importantly, effective leaders! A Martial Arts education develops the very skills that students need to be successful in regular school and in everything else they do: Discipline, Self-Control, Respect, Patience, Responsibility, Goal Setting, Perseverance, and Teamwork & Self-Confidence!
We are proud of our reputation for having high expectations of our students. Our students are expected to give 100% effort. Our program and teaching is structured, consistent, supportive and challenging.
The colored stripe every month represents the Life Skills component of our curriculum. In order to get their stripe, students must have an understanding of the particular Life-Skill being studied at their belt level. During their test, they will be required to discuss the Life-Skill, give examples of how they can personally demonstrate that Life-Skill in different settings (at home, at school, in the gym, etc.), and answer questions about it. Students in the 8-12 year old program are also required to complete a homework paper for their stripe. Some of the specific Life Skills studied in our program are: discipline, respect, teamwork, attitude, courage, control and giving back.
As you can see, our martial arts programs teach so much more than “just kicks and punches.” At UMMA we breed positive role models, and encourage your child to succeed.